The Town of Marion is located at the gateway to Cape Cod at the Northern end of Buzzards Bay. Wareham is on the eastern boundary, Rochester to the north, and Mattapoisett to the west. It is a lively coastal community, much of its activity centered around a protected deep-water harbor and exquisite waterfront. The population varies widely in number with 5,100 residents year-round, swelling to over 10,000 in the summer months, attracted by the opportunities for boating, golf, swimming and tennis.
Originally conjoined with Mattapoisett and Rochester to form the Town of Rochester, Marion broke away, becoming incorporated in 1852, taking its name from Revolutionary War hero Francis Marion, the “Swamp Fox”. Its origins date as far back as 1679, when the Huguenots from the Plymouth Colony settled along the coast to begin developing industries related to the sea such as: salt works, ship building and fishing. With the arrival of the railroad in the 1800’s, tourism flourished as well, and indeed today remains a major source of income. Marion, however, is primarily a residential town with a large percentage of its working population commuting to Boston, Providence, New Bedford and Cape Cod. Two large engineering firms, cranberry bogs, and small local firms form the tax base, which is otherwise firmly linked to property values.
Rapid growth has resulted in the need to expand Sippican Elementary School, as well as Old Rochester Regional Junior and Senior High Schools, with students from Rochester, Mattapoisett and Marion attending. The Library will need an extension as well, and plans are being developed to add a wing which will include a large Children’s Room, classroom/meeting area, and stacks space. Marion’s Finance Committee is carefully planning to meet these needs with long-range plans in place, conservation and limited growth statutes presented at Town Meeting, and careful budgeting. All bode well for a prosperous future.
More information about Marion is available online at:
- Town of Marion website
- Marion Recreation Department
- Marion Natural History Museum
- Sippican Lands Trust
- Sippican Historical Society
- Marion Art Center
- Beverly Yacht Club
- Tabor Academy
- The Wanderer
Photo Gallery credits: Gary Grainger & Barbara Corrigan